Until 2018, Hope Community Church was called Mottram Evangelical Church (MEC). We changed our name in early 2019 to reflect our sense of vision and mission together as those filled with a lively hope in Jesus Christ who long to share that hope with others in our community and beyond.
At present, we gather for our Sunday worship in Arundale Primary School located on Lowry Grove in Mottram. However, many of our community activities take place in our premises at Hope Christian Centre (see image below) near the traffic lights in the centre of Mottram.
These premises, originally built in 1791 as a Methodist Meetinghouse, are a Grade II listed building. They are believed to be the oldest surviving Methodist chapel in the Manchester area that is still in use as a place of Christian worship.
In 1803, the name changed to New Connexion and later, in 1850, the church became a Congregational Church.
In 1988, the church members decided that Mottram Congregational Church should become what it still is today, an independent evangelical church, and the name was changed to Mottram Evangelical Church.
In 2002, MEC planted a sister church in nearby Hattersley, called Hattersley Community Church (HCC) and began an Eden project to serve young people and their families in Hattersley. This later became an independent charity called Hattersley Life Centre.
In 2017, MEC and HCC began meeting together in Arundale School and were formally merged together into one larger and more diverse congregation in 2018 under the name of Hope Community Church.